Monday October 31
- Read David Gessner Learning to Surf.
- Consider reading other essays (by Gessner and others) at the magazine he edits Ecotone. Of particular interest is Montaigne in the Age of Trump, a reflection on reading Montaigne and an extended meditation on retreat and engagement
- Consider what John McPhee has to say about structure in nonfiction writing. His Structure is useful. The essay first appeared in January of 2013 in the New Yorker and is included in his book Draft No. 4: On the Writing Process
- The Essay Collection: Workshop (1). Bring two or three working ideas for the essay sequence
Wednesday November 2
- Have a look at Tim Bascom’s thinking about structure in Picturing the Perfect Essay: A Visual Guide. Consider Scott Russell Sanders, Under the Influence. Also read a poem Sanders cites in his essay, My Papa’s Waltz, by Theodore Roethke.
- Essays Sequence Workshop (2)