The Modern Poetry Collection at Keene State College is a special collection of books, periodicals, and archival manuscripts of 20th/21st century poetry available for use by students, poets, educators, and the general public. The creation of the Modern Poetry Collection was inspired by the 2011 bequest of a 2500-volume modern poetry library by the family of Frank C. Shuffleton. Frank Shuffleton was a Professor of English at the University of Rochester and a long-time summer resident of Harrisville, New Hampshire. Frank desired a place in the Monadnock region where his library could be shared and enjoyed by the community, and could serve as a learning resource for poets and literary students.
Housed in the Wallace E. Mason Library, the Modern Poetry Collection consists primarily of 20th-and-21st-century American and Canadian poetry with selections of non-English poetry in translation. Mason Library places a collecting interest in poets, poetry, and small press publishers of the Monadnock region, New Hampshire, and New England. The Library also places a collecting interest in children’s poetry to complement its Children’s Literature Manuscript Collection.
The Modern Poetry Collection currently features:
Frank C. Shuffleton Collection
– 2500-volume books of 20/21st century American and Canadian poetry.
Patricia Fargnoli Papers
– Books and manuscripts of former NH Poet Laureate
William Doreski Papers
– Books and manuscripts of poet and Harvard Review editor
Rodger Martin Papers
– Books and manuscripts of poet and Worcester Review editor
Edith Newlin Chase Papers
– Books and manuscripts of children’s poet
Jeffrey Friedman Papers (PENDING)
– Books and manuscripts of poet and Carnagie Mellon Fellow
John Hodgen Papers
– Books and manuscripts of poet and winner of the AWP Donald Hall Prize in Poetry for Grace (University of Pittsburgh Press, 2006) and the 2008 Chad Walsh Prize in Poetry from Beloit Poetry Journal.
May Swenson Collection
Charles Simic Collection
Gray Burr Collection
Monadnock Pastoral Poets Collection
– Publications of the poetry collection, i.e. Rodger Martin, Patricia Fargnoli, Terry Farrish, John Hodgen, Jim Bescha, and et. al.
– Publications by poets in the Monadnock Region.
Zephyr Press Archives (PENDING)
– Records of small press from Brookline, MA, known for poetry In translation of Eastern European and East Asian poetry; did the first complete translation of poetry by Anna Akhmatova; originally Aspect Magazine.